What We Do
PABI’s recent work includes:
- Installing a state of the art assistive listening system in the Ray & Ann Stanhope Theater that works with most hearing aids and includes loaner units with headphones;
- Hosting events for BICS including the robotics team’s bIrobot Film Festival, testing sessions, the 4th, 5th & 6th grade play and graduation;
- Supporting the first ever Island Fellow programming by providing office space in the BIC Center;
- Implementation of the Up North Digtal Network video sign system and making it available to all businesses that want to participate;
- Hosting community meetings on the Master Plan, EMS Issues the Island Fellow Program and others;
- Presentation of recent release movies almost every weekend with shows for kids, teens and adults;
- Hosting senior events including monthly COA Dinners and the Arthritis Exercise Program;
- Organizing and hosting recreational activities that exrcise the body and the mind including Pickleball and Games Galore;
- Production assistance and broadcast of the Beaver Island Radio Players productions including episodes of The Bickersons, Father Knows Best and Lights Out;
- Serving as the trail head of the Beaver Island Birding Trail and home to the Beaver Island Community Players;
- Adding a self-serve soda fountain to our concession stand; and
- 24x7 operation of the WVBI — the Voice of Beaver Island — with locally produced news, a comprehensive on-air and on-line Community Calendar, Islander News from BICS, locally produced music shows, global news on the hour in the mornings and evening, and informative programing Saturday & Sunday mornings including the recent addition of the Peabody award winning show RadioLab from WNYC.
There’s always something going on at your Community Center. It’s where island adventures begin.
Car #1 Was #1 Again!
The winning team of Diane McDonough, Andy Kohls, Eric Hodgson, Jeanne Gillespie and Kathy Speck has not only Rallied for over a decade, but in past years has organized this PABI annual rite-of-spring. Congratulations for winning the coveted trophy--and continuing a Beaver Island tradition!
Plays, Robots & Ice
PABI's spring events included two productions in the Ray & Ann Stanhope Theater, a robot film festival and the classic Ice Classic.