After an exhaustive search, the PABI board is pleased to introduce the organizations first CEO. Please join us in welcoming Marcy Dean to the island and her new role at PABI. Marcy comes to us with extensive non-profit management experience, including 13 years at a regional zoo in Indiana. Marcy is looking forward to meeting everyone in the (hopefully) near future. She is excited to be a part of PABI, the BIC Center and WVBI. “I can’t wait to engage with our community members, donors and supporters,” she said upon her arrival. Winter is a less than ideal time for a move to the island under normal circumstances; the current pandemic crisis is making the change even more challenging. One bonus is that the school shut down has made it possible for Marcy to be joined by her two children, Aidan 15, and a daughter Livi, 11, who will join transfer to BICS in the fall. Eventually, they’ll be joined by Marcy’s husband who will soon retire from an education position in Indiana.
Please join us in in welcoming Marcy and her family to our island community. For now, that welcome will have to be virtual, but we will hope for introductions in person at earliest possible date.
Despite the turbulence of the past several weeks, we have planned a summer chock full of activities including theater; live music from country to celtic, jazz to folk to and rock to classic; movies on Tuesdays, Saturdays and rainy days; exercise classes; art & craft sales…and more. There is something for everyone at the BIC Center. Here are the major events:
- PABI Road Rally [May 10 at 12:30 p.m.] lead this year by last year’s winning team including Chamber President and PABI Board member Paul Cole
- New York Nightingales [June 10 at 7:30 p.m.] presented in cooperation with Patrons of the Arts in Rural Communities
- American Dreamer [June 13 at 7:30 p.m.] presented in cooperation with Patrons of the Arts in Rural Communities
- PABI Summer Solstice Dinner [June 20 at 6 p.m.] presented by PABI to thank our BIC Center and WVBI donors and volunteers
- Sustainability Fair Seminar [June 26] presented by the Beaver Island Sustainability Fair & Conference
- Dave Bennett Quartet [June 27 at 8 p.m.] presented by the BIC Center with special support from Naren and Nishta Bhatia
- Sylvia (a comedy by by A.R. Gurney) [July 2 at 8 p.m.] presented by CMU University Theater and the BIC Center
- Red Herring (a comedy by Michael Hollinger) [July 3 at 8 p.m.] presented by CMU University Theater and the BIC Center
- Summer GALA 2020 [July 15 at 6 p.m.] including a live auction, silent auction and fine dining presented by PABI as its premiere summer fund raiser
- Aoife Scott Band [July 19 at 8 p.m.] presented by PARC and the BIC Center
- Kevin Cole in Concert on the Hamlin Grand [July 24 7:30 p.m.] fundraiser presented as part of Baroque on Beaver by Beaver Island Cultural Arts Association with support from the BIC Center
- Bach & Beethoven Ensemble [July 25 at 7:30 p.m.] fundraiser presented as part of Baroque on Beaver by Beaver Island Cultural Arts Association with support from the BIC Center
- RFD Boys [August 22 at 8:00 p.m.] presented by the BIC Center
- Claudia Schmidt & Sally Rogers [ September 4 at 7:30 p.m.] presented by the BIC Center
- Our Town (a play by Thornton Wilder) [rescheduled to an October date to be announced] presented by the Beaver Island Community Players as part of Our Town, Our Island Month
- Our Town Community Celebration [rescheduled to an October date to be announced] presented with support from the National Endowment for the Arts as part of Our Town, Our Island Month
In addition to these events, look for Yoga, Tai Chi, Arthritis Foundation and other exercise classes in the morning, Tuesday and Saturday movies (when other events aren’t scheduled), Art in the Harbor on Fridays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., and special events for the Beaver Island Irish Feile and Bite of Beaver. Tickets for summer events will go on sale at the BIC Center Front desk on May 15.
Unfortunately, the current situation with COVID-19 has forced the closure of the BIC Center until mid-April. We are planning to resume our normal operations at that time and look forward to an exciting summer filled with great events at the BIC Center and beyond. To help you plan your summer on the island, let us remind you we’ve listed all of these BIC Center events along with all of the other island summer events we know about in the WVBI-BIC Center Discover Beaver Island Summer Calendar. Just click here to see it.
Want to keep up on COVID-19? Listen to WVBI’s Community Calendar weekdays after global news from FSN at 9 a.m., noon, 3 and 6 p.m. If you miss it, go to WVBI’s website and click on Podcasts. Or check out the on-line right here or visit the WVBI COVID-19 Info & News page.
We hope to be able to see you soon in your Community Center. In the meantime, please stay safe and well–and keep your radio tuned to WVBI.